Day #4: Mt Cook

Our drive from Christchurch to Mt Cook started out with a few hours of rain... Boo.

Luckily, it cleared up just in time for Lake Tekapo! Have you ever seen water so blue?! It truly was postcard material from every angle.





If that shade of blue doesn't suit your fancy, don't worry! There's more leading up to Mt Cook:




Sorry for the overload of pictures in this post but we could have stared at these lakes for DAYS! They are mesmerizing to say the least. 

We arrived at Mt Cook (the highest mountain in New Zealand) around 3 o'clock and set out on a 4 hour hike up the Kea Point & Sealy Tarns tracks. This was around the time that I realized I should have been hitting up the stairmaster over the last 6 months. Holy steps. Hikers coming down the trail told us that the view was worth it so we carried on despite our wobbly knees. Was it worth it? You decide! Check out the view:



After our trek down (without falling I may add), we headed to the Old Mountaineers Cafe & Bar for a nice dinner and a few drinks. The restaurant options in the area limited so the place was packed but we were seated fairly quickly with incredible views of the mountains. We were grateful for the awesome dinner but were probably more excited by 5 minute hot shower that followed (that was only $2 NZD)! 

After a few mini-vodkas, a few games of Euchre and lots of laughs in Jordan & Annie's pimped out campervan, we headed to bed to rest up for our drive to Milford Sound.

PS. The sun stays up forever here. I took this picture of Mt Cook at 9:30 pm last night!


I'm sure there will be another overflow of pictures coming soon... Sorry I'm not sorry! 

XOXO
Elissa

Comments