I spent most of New Year's Eve exploring while Tyler spent most of the day hungovering. Hungovering should most definitely be a word.
Hungovering (v):
The act of sleeping off migraines, avoiding any sign of sun or fun and trying to imagine ever eating a real meal again.
Since I packed nothing but shampoo and a comb to take care of my hair on the trip, I found a shop to style my hair around the corner (Amore Salon). After 15 days of crazy hair, the least I could do was say farewell to 2015 without looking like I just jumped out of the jungle. The French gal who did my hair was amazing! I don't think I've ever had someone style my crazy head of hair in just 20 minutes.
After checking on my zombie boyfriend, I headed back to the streets for a $20 manicure. It was nice not having to feel guilty about taking some time to get pampered... he was quite content with his head under the pillows!
Around 2:30, Tyler stopped hungovering so he could grab Guzman y Gomez (the Australian version of Chipotle) and I could enjoy a Nutella & Banana crepe before walking down to a local marina.
The days in Australia thus far have been gorgeous and NYE was no different. Lots of people playing cricket, napping in the grass and walking their dogs (without leashes I might add). Tyler and I were happy to get our fix of dog-watching for the day!
After a couple of hours enjoying the view and sunshine we headed back to the apartment to get ready for the night.
Ben & Hannah invited a few friends/co-workers over and several of us grabbed a quick dinner together before the festivities started. The Springfield Tower has a sought-after rooftop and rumor was that a few tenants had actually sold their tickets for up to $300 a piece!
We didn't go up to the rooftop until 11:30 but until then, we enjoyed drinks, a small dance party and fun conversations with a few of the guests (many of which were French).
They had lots of munchies for us, including an expensive "stinky cheese" that was actually fabulous (and I think the French were impressed)! Hannah also made us each "Whiskey Apples" which were amazing. It was basically whiskey mixed with puréed apples! Not something I normally would have picked out for myself but I was pleasantly surprised.
As far as the Sydney fireworks go, they were absolutely out of this world. Over 7 million dollars of fireworks spread out over 12 minutes! From the rooftop we were able to see about 8 different firework displays, including the Sydney Bridge. We are so very grateful that Hannah and Ben let us have that experience! It will be a hard New Year's celebration to ever beat.
Check out my IG to watch a short video of the fireworks. (@elissaloynes)
By 2am we were ready for bed just as everyone back home was starting their last day of 2015. Quite strange to be in a different year than everybody back home, even if only for 19 hours. Happy New Year anyways!
2015 has brought us much success, many travels and lots of love. We hope the same to each of you and more in 2016!
XOXO
Elissa & Tyler






Comments
Post a Comment